Sunday, May 10, 2009

The webring adventure

Life has strange ways of doing things. But I suppose that's because we don't get the message otherwise.

I've had my website registered at Webring.com for many years, but more or less neglected the place until now and then something happened that required my attention. Lately they've made some drastic changes that required a lot of my attention. Like most people, I had a mix of the original coding (html, for those readers who understand that) and the new navbars they came out with a few years ago and I was never able to get my head around. More than once I'd thought of dropping the whole webring thing altogether but never did it.

Now they've decided to standardize everything (translation: they got hit by the globalization wave) and want to get rid of all the html and have us display all our rings on a single navbar. They also want us to put that navbar on a content page instead of a special webring page, which most people had been doing. They say it's more logical to send people directly to your home page, or whatever page you want to feature in a ring. Now that I think about it, it does make more sense.

I spent a couple of frustrating days trying to figure out how to move everything to my home page and got nothing but chaos. I finally got fed up and decided to dump the whole thing. The only way out is to drop out of your rings, one by one, and then you can close your account. So I started dropping rings (fortunately, there weren't many) but there was one I couldn't bear to part with.

I couldn't figure out how to move it to the home page, so I resorted to the FAQ and help pages, where I got confusing and often wrong explanations of what I had to do. Typical of so many websites that keep tweaking and changing things but never think of updating the help pages. I finally contacted the support people, who gave me an explanation I could understand. So I got my lone ring to appear on my home page, wrote a little blurb about the whole thing and considered it done.

However...

The next day I woke up still wondering what it was that attracted me to that ring. I finally realized it was because I no longer felt like I belonged in most of the others. I'd moved on. So I did some searching and came up with a list of rings I felt more at home with and started joining them; I also decided to return to two of the old ones.

So there I am back again, but on a new path.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home