Sunday, November 2, 2008

Big storm

Last night there was a storm, a BIG storm. Plenty of rain, added to the rest that had fallen throughout the day, and lots of wind blowing the contents of our rooftop terrace around. BIG surf too. It sounded like a train.

Sometime, well into the night, I heard a big roar approaching. Couldn't help gritting my teeth and holding my breath until it hit the house. POW! Shortly after that I fell asleep and don't know how long it all lasted.

I found out this afternoon that the big roar was what the weather folks described as "something like a tornado" that hit hardest in a town about 20 km from me at about 120 km/hour. We were on the edge, so didn't get hit quite so hard.

This evening, after a day and a half shut up indoors, I decided to get out and take a walk. I found the surf coming up onto the long beach all the way across the sand at one end and nearly all the way along the rest. Looking down from the bridge across the highway, of course. It wasn't exactly a day for beach walking.

Then down to the little cove (Els Capellans), still getting surf halfway up but full of trash and other stuff dragged in from out at sea, so last night it had obviously flooded the entire beach. I climbed up the rocks a bit to watch the waves crashing, but not too far because every now and then one sent spray all the way up. Quite a show.

There was a new moon in the sky, a few days old, on its way down.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home